Treasures of Spain, Portugal & Morocco (Winter 2017-18)
About Madrid, Spain
ADDITIONAL INCLUDED HIGHLIGHTS
- Salamanca: See the cathedral in the university town.
- Seville: Enjoy a walking tour of the Santa Cruz Quarter. See the Alcazar, home of House Martell in Game of Thrones.
- Straits of Gibraltar: Sail across continents from Europe to Africa.
- Fes: Visit the walled Medina and shop for Moroccan carpets.
- Marrakesh: Soak up the atmosphere in Djemaa el-Fna Square, explore the Souqs of the Medina and see the Koutobia Minaret.
- Rabat: See the Royal Palace and Hassan Tower.
- Tangier: See the Medina and Casbah.
- Gibraltar: Visit St. Michael's Cave and see Barbary Apes, guardians of the colony.
- Mijas: Journey to this white-washed village and wander the streets and gardens.
- Consuegra: Enjoy views of the windmills above the town.
- Scenic Drives: Estrela Mountains, Atlas Mountains, Costa del Sol, Sierra Nevada.
AUTHENTIC REGIONAL FLAVOURS
- Autumn: Sample the smooth taste of the freshly pressed olive oil.
- Winter: See Riffans picking strawberries in the fields and enjoy the freshest strawberries available to taste, in Fes.
- Spring: Savour a delicious exploration of the local wines, their robust flavours and absorbing history.
- Lisbon: Enjoy a tasting of the famous 'Pastéis de Belém' – a Portuguese delicacy, made to the same recipe for over 100 years!
- Seville: Over dinner with wine, beyond your dimly lit table, the stage will suddenly erupt with the unmistakable singing, clapping and throbbing guitars of flamenco.
- Granada: Choose from a selection of restaurants for a more intimate Dine-Around experience.
- Madrid: Toast the culmination of your tour at a fabulous Celebration Dinner with wine.
- Included Quality Dining: 16 Buffet Breakfasts (BB) and 4 Dinners (D); plus 1 Welcome Dinner (WD), 1 Signature Evening (SE), 1 Dine-Around Evening (DA) and 1 Celebration Dinner (CD) all with wine, plus tea or coffee. Departures on tour for Christmas and New Year's Eve will enjoy festive Highlight Dinners which will replace an included meal.
- Madrid: From El Greco to Goya, your art historian reveals the crowning achievements of Spanish painting in the magnificent Prado Museum.
- Madrid: A guided tour with a Local Expert will show you Don Quixote's statue in Plaza de España, Gran Via, Cibeles Fountain, Parliament and Puerta del Sol.
- Lisbon: With your Local Expert, tour the spacious avenues and elegant squares. See the Monument to the Discoveries and ancient Belém Tower. Visit Jeronimos Monastery with its beautiful Manueline architecture, reflecting Portugal’s trade over the centuries.
- Seville: Join a Local Expert and step inside the cathedral, past the gilded altar to the Tomb of Columbus, held aloft by four kings.
- Fes: Your Local Expert will show you hidden courtyards and mosques, the bazaar and one of the world's oldest universities.
- Marrakesh: Built around a lovely inner-garden, explore the Bahia Palace with a Local Expert and see glimpses of a Moroccan kingdom's former opulence.
- Casablanca: Guided by your Local Expert, see the Hassan II Mosque, the largest mosque in all of Morocco.
- Rabat: Explore the Moroccan capital with your Local Expert, and enjoy views of the Hassan Tower and the Royal Palace.
- Tangier: Learn about the highlights of the city from your Local Expert. See the lavish Sultan's Palace and the famous Casbah.
- Gibraltar: With a Local Expert tour the Rock of Gibraltar, offering magnificent views of the meeting of the Atlantic and Mediterranean and the Spanish Sierra.
- Granada: Best interpreted with help of a Local Expert, the Alhambra Palace is the ultimate in Muslim architecture - an arabesque fantasy in stone, complemented by the rich, scented gardens of the Generalife.
STAY AT THE BEST ADDRESSES
- Madrid: The Hotel Miguel Angel by BlueBay is located in one of the most elegant residential areas in the city, close to many key attractions.
- Salamanca: The centrally located Alameda Palace is close to a range of restaurants and shops and is only a short walk to the Plaza Mayor. The spacious rooms all have marble bathrooms and antique-style furniture.
- Lisbon: Next to the Terreiro do Paco Square, in the heart of historic Lisbon, is the Turim Saldanha Hotel. The historical building has been recently renovated to a contemporary style.
- Seville: The Ayre Sevilla is fantastically-located in the centre of Seville and is only short walk to the old quarter.
- Fes: The Palais Medina and Spa Fes is a perfect alliance between tradition and modern luxury. The hotel offers exquisite rooms and is set in a 5-hectare Andalusian garden.
- Marrakesh: The luxurious Atlas Medina & Spa is set amid lush, picturesque gardens in central Marrakesh, the perfect location for exploring this fascinating city.
- Casablanca: Mövenpick Hotel Casablanca is ideally located within a short walk to the Old Medina with comfortable, contemporary designed rooms
- Casablanca: The monumental Grand Mogador City Centre is close to both the Old Medina and the harbour. Its modern design blends traditional architecture with luxury and art déco influences.
- Tangier: Overlooking the water, upon hill Ghandourim, the Hotel Farah Tanger is only a short distance from the city centre and combines elegance and high style.
- Torremolinos: Set on a stunning seafront location, where you can enjoy the beach all year round, is the centrally located Melia Costa Del Sol.
- Granada: Located only a short walk from Granada's historic centre, Hotel Saray features elegant Andalusian design, of mosaics, archways and fountains.
TOP RATED HIGHLIGHTS
- Fátima: Join the faithful at one of the world's holiest sites and pay homage at the Chapel of the Apparitions.
You will visit the following 3 places:
Spain – one of Europe’s most top travel destinations for its fantastic beaches, islands, UNESCO World Heritage sites, stunning and diverse countryside, buzzing nightlife, delicious cuisine and world-famous fiestas! The country is a friendly, multicultural society dedicated to building curious minds, positive attitudes and creative spirits. With great beaches, fun nightlife, many cultural regions and historic cities, Spain makes a great destination for any kind of trip.
Morocco, officially known as the Kingdom of Morocco, is a sovereign country located in the Maghreb region of North Africa. Geographically, Morocco is characterized by a rugged mountainous interior and large portions of desert. It has Atlantic and Mediterranean coastlines. Ethnically speaking, Morocco is composed mainly of Arabs and Berbers or a mixture of the two. Sizeable numbers of Berbers live mainly in the country’s mountainous regions, long areas of refuge where they have preserved their language and culture. Some segments of the population are descendants of refugees from Spain and Portugal who fled from the Reconquista, the Christian reconquest of the Iberian Peninsula, that spanned until the 15th century.
Portugal is a southern European country on the Iberian Peninsula, bordering Spain and the Atlantic Ocean. It has a rich, unique culture, lively cities and beautiful countryside. Its rolling interior is perfect for exploring on foot, by kayak, by bike or even on horseback – though a large part of the country’s charm comes from languorous days on the beach, dining on fabulously fresh seafood and kicking back with a beer to watch the sunset over the Atlantic. It is also a developed country with an advanced economy, a high living standard, being also the 11th most peaceful country in the world.